Alberta Estate is Intestate and Common-law relationships
Company Name - Company Message
RSS

Recent Posts

Video
What Executor's need-to-know when wrapping up a loved one's estate.
Order Your Executor's Guide Today!
Estate Planning 101-W.P.P.
Testimonals

Categories

Alberta Probate
by-your-side probate services
Cancellations
Common mistakes found in wills
Estate Planning 101
Executor's Information Night
Executor's Information Work Shop
Grant of Administration
Joint Accounts
Matrimonial Property Act
probate in Canada
wills
powered by

My Blog

Alberta Estate is Intestate and Common-law relationships

In Alberta, if an Estate is intestate because no will was created and signed by a family member.  The Alberta Surrogate Rules are as follows for someone living common-law or have an adult interdependent partner living arrangement at the time the loved one passes away.

The adult interdependent partner lived with the deceased in a relationship of interdependence:
__ for a continuous period of not less than 3 years commencing _____________ and ending ___________________.

__ of some permanence of which there is a child
__ born _______________________ (date)
__ adopted ____________________ (date)

__ the adult interdependent partner entered into an adult interdependent partner agreement with the deceased which agreement is dated ____________.

The adult interdependent partner

___ is

___ is not

related to the deceased by blood or adoption.

You may want to know what the above mean.  I had a potential client recently call me.  His partner of 2 1/2 years had passed away.  She thought that he thought he would be the sole beneficiary of her estate.  As it turns out because:
1.  there was no will;
2.  there were no children from their relationship;
3.  because they lived together less than 3 years;
4.  and because there was no partnership agreement.

What he found out is that he was not a beneficiary at all.  The whole of his late partner's intestate (without a will) estate had to go to the deceased's living mother.

Remember when there is a will, the Justice of the Court does everything according to the Wills and Succession Act to have the wishes of the deceased be heard in the Will.  Otherwise if there is no will, then the Surrogate Rules are that the Gov't decides who the beneficiaries are of the estate.

Questions are welcomed by calling 403-293-5488 or checking out our website:  www.probatecoach.ca

11 Comments to Alberta Estate is Intestate and Common-law relationships:

Comments RSS
bestessay.org on June-17-17 12:01 AM
It is like an agreement of the Alberta and I try to understand this law that you share in this article. I know every state have their rules and everyone should to obey these rules to spend the good life. Overall, this information is good and shareable.
Reply to comment

Best Beard Trimmer In 2017 on July-13-17 12:51 AM
After 51 hours of testing 40 beard trimmers over four years, we think the Wahl Lithium Ion Trimmer is the best for most people.
Reply to comment

mba essay on October-05-17 4:26 AM
I did not know about this account system but eventually, I read this article which proves really so fruitful. I also thinking about to open the new bank account but your article gives the good information. I really open the separate but current account.
Reply to comment

iq option on June-21-18 11:35 AM
Thanks so much with this fantastic new web site. I�m very fired up to show it to anyone. It makes me so satisfied your vast understanding and wisdom have a new channel for trying into the world.
Reply to comment

spins on June-23-18 2:21 PM
through the year round temperature changes and the numerous adjustments in mugginess levels since homes in those days were not generally all around protected.
Reply to comment

loemrntdherid1 on July-05-18 2:14 AM
I am glad to trap concept from your article. It has information I have been in search of an extended time
Reply to comment

1xbet on July-05-18 8:13 AM
This is there to represent the home field advantage pervasive in the NFL.
Reply to comment

replica cartier watches on July-16-18 7:22 AM
It kept connected me all the time.
Reply to comment

roblox robux on July-20-18 4:06 AM
This is a very amazing resource for the free roblox free robux which generates free robux with the help of free robux generator.
Reply to comment

Harry on July-29-18 2:02 AM
I like new Orleans style awningsDown light attic seal fitting are generally ujse for the benefits as well as it also use for the main thing of the fitting and involve in making the best structure of it.It make a large amount of best decore piece.linkA true former know the value of green grass even grass.The people who do exposition writing to accomplish their objectives and generally individuals who can't ready to keep up both.linkSometimes, particularly there is not any place, polished metal are attached relating to the entrance wardrobes hand is simply not very much sick, perhaps usually in the touchiest of thingsIt is a fantastic feeling.link
Reply to comment

PhD dissertation writing services on July-30-18 1:08 AM
I believe that you recognize how to construct people pay attention to what you have to pronounce, particularly with a concern that’s so vital. I am pleased to suggest this blog.
Reply to comment